Science & Articles >> TEETH WHITENING
Cosmetic Teeth Whitening: AACD Survey
Back in the spring of 2011 the American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry administered a survey to its members asking for accurate data on various survey questions relating to cosmetic teeth whitening, some of which are relative to at home teeth whitening systems. Given smilebrillaint.com's focus is on all things teeth whitening I figured this information is worthy of sharing. Back in 2010 AACD dentist's reported an average of 77 patients purchased cosmetic teeth whitening products or services from their dental office. This was an increase in comparison to 2009 for 48%, a decrease for 27%, and no change for 25% of this group of dentists; however 57% anticipated an increase, 19% anticipated a decrease, and 24% did not anticipate any change. The average AACD dentist reported revenues of $19,100 in 2010 which when you figure that the average dentist sold 77 treatments this equates to an average expenditure of $246.75. This figure is relatively low because it also takes into account the purchase of teeth whitening gel for those who already owned a set of custom teeth whitening trays. There is some diversity in the services offered by dentist:
- 11% only offer in-office whitening treatments
- 11% only offer at home whitening treatments such as custom teeth whitening trays with gel syringes
- 75% of their participating members offer both in office and at home whitening systems.
- 99.7% of these patients believe a smile is an important social asset which is no surprise since they pursued teeth whitening.
- 96% of adults believe an attractive smile can make us more appealing and 74% feel an unattractive smile will hurt our chances for career advancements.