Science & Articles >> TEETH WHITENING
The cost of teeth whitening kits: product comparisons
When researching the cost of teeth whitening the consumer must also consider what their expectations are to avoid disappointment and to determine which whitening kit is a good fit. The 4 most popular teeth whitening procedures are: in-office power bleaching, custom fitted teeth whitening trays, and teeth whitening strips. All of the above work but they are not all ideal for everyone’s budget or expectations. In order for any teeth whitening product to effectively remove stains from the surface of the enamel and within dentin the bleaching agent must be composed of either carbamide peroxide or hydrogen peroxide. The peroxide solution must maintain contact with the entire tooth for greater than 45 minutes per whitening session. This allows the peroxide to not only remove surface stains on the tooth’s enamel but also seep through the pours of the enamel and come in contact with the tooth’s dentin where the deep stains reside. Depending on the duration of each session and concentration of peroxide in the gel, the average person will achieve stain free teeth after 3-15 applications. Teeth whitening gel comes in a variety of concentrations ranging from 10% carbamide peroxide to as great as 35% carbamide peroxide. Below is a chart that estimates the number of treatment’s required before all stains have been removed.
Cost and benefits comparison of at-home and in-office teeth whitening kitsThe 5 most popular teeth whitening kits are:
|In-office laser/power bleaching (professional grade)|
|teeth whitening trays created by a Dentist (professional grade)|
|teeth Whitening trays by Smilebrilliant.com (professional grade)|
|teeth whitening strips|
|whitening tooth paste|
Benefits and cost of in-office laser/power teeth bleachingIn office laser teeth bleaching (also known as power bleaching) is a procedure performed by the dentist in the office while under their supervision for the duration of the treatment(s). The procedure will begin with an examination and cleaning of the teeth to ensure all plaque and tarter have been removed from the surface of the tooth. If the patient has cavities the dentist will treat them and schedule the patient for the laser teeth whitening session at a later date. If the patient does not have cavities the dentist will move forward with the laser teeth whitening procedure. Laser Teeth Whitening Process:
- The Dentist will begin by inserting cheek protractors which prevent the lips from coming in contact with the bleaching agent.
- Once the cheek protractors are in place the dentist will layer a barrier termed “bridge along the gum line. The bridge prevents the peroxide bleaching agent from coming in contact with the gums which creates a burning effect.
- Now that the lips and gums are protected the dentist will generously coat each tooth with a 22-45% hydrogen peroxide concentration and insert a high powered LED light for 30-60 minutes.
- Depending on the patient’s condition 1-3 additional treatments’ may be required before all stains have been removed. The patient will return to the dentist every 2 weeks for a checkup.
Benefits of Custom Fitted Teeth Whitening TraysFor those who are not familiar with custom fitted teeth whitening trays here’s a quick run-down. You have the option of either going to the dentist or visiting smilebrilliant.com. If you choose to visit your dentist you will schedule an appointment. The dentist will examine your mouth for pre-existing cavities. If none are found he/she will take an impression of your upper and lower teeth and then either mail them off to a lab such as Smile Brilliant or have their assistant go through the tray creation process. Whether it be Smile Brilliant or the dental assistant the tray creation process is the same:
- Pour a plaster into the dental impression and let set for an hour or so.
- Once hardened, a clear rubber like disc is placed over the molding of the teeth and the two are set in a vacuum forming machine which heats the material so it takes shape of the dental moldings. The rubber like material is the actual teeth whitening tray.
- The lab tech will then proceed by trimming excess material with scissors so the trays fit in the user’s mouth.
Taking your dental impressions is as easy as 1, 2, 3!
|Mix white and blue paste together||
|Simply mix one white (catalyst) and one blue (base) paste together for 2 minutes. Roll the paste into a small hotdog shape and set it in the impression tray.|
|Take dental impressions and place in mail||
|Insert the tray into your mouth and press it into your teeth so the material flows over the gum line. After 2 minutes remove them, let harden fully, and rinse. The tray creation kit comes with a pre-paid/pre-addressed return envelope. Place impressions in envelope and mail them back to the Smile Brilliant lab.|